Rotherfield Parish Council works for and represents the communities of Rotherfield, Mark Cross, Eridge Green, and Boarshead which makes us one of the largest parishes in Wealden.
Rotherfield is one of the oldest Saxon settlements in the High Weald of Sussex. The name is thought to derive from the Anglo-Saxon redrefeld meaning cattle lands. Rotherfield has been designated as a conservation area because of the quality of the buildings, including the Grade 1 listed St Denys’ Church.
Eridge (& Boarshead) is thought to derive from ‘Eagle ridge’, or ‘ridge frequented by eagles’. It is directly north of Rotherfield, and largely overlaps the ecclesiastical parish of Eridge Green. It was formed on 5 February 1856 out of parts of the former parishes of Frant, Rotherfield, Eridge Park and Eridge Castle, the latter being the seat of the Earl and Marquess of Abergavenny.
Mark Cross is located to the east of Rotherfield. The village takes it’s name from the “March” or boundary of three parishes, Rotherfield, Mayfield and Wadhurst. Records show tenant holdings in the area of “Merc Cross” or “Mercrosse”. The parish extends for roughly 4.5 square miles embracing about 3,500 acres of which one quarter is woodland.
Parish Clerk Contact Details
Rotherfield Parish Council
3 Trinity Mews